Sunday, 7 April 2013

Nutrition the day before the race!

Breakfast

A large bowl of granola with an apple and soya yogurt on top!
A large glass of water.




Snack

2 delicious bananas




Lunch

A Green salad, grated carrot, cous cous, lentils and a few potato chips. A large bottle of water drank over 2 hours after lunch. Black coffee 2 hours after lunch.


Dinner

Dinner was somewhat of a social occasion, I met with a very good friend who I hadn't seen for a while. I had some escargoes for starters, followed by a chicken breast and vegetables for mains. I didn't dabble much with dessert but I did have 3 glasses of wine over dinner. I wouldn't usually drink alcohol on the lead up to a race but I was in good company and because training was far from what I had planned I decided to enjoy the social side of meeting friends in foreign cities for a marathon. I drank about 1 liter of water between dinner and bed.

Being a runner, a husband, a dad, a brother, a son and a friend is tricky sometimes and I've missed my fair share of social events in the past due to training and racing commitments.
This is the new me and so far I am enjoying it a lot!

Race Morning Breakfast

1 large bowel of porridge oats and cinnamon 3 hours before race start. One large banana and a packet of dried apricots while waiting for the race to start.

I also took some antioxidants that morning, and some vitamin and mineral colloidal supplements.

During the race I hydrated on water, and refueled on amino-acid gels, dried apricots, bananas (from 25km onwards) and oranges (from 35km onwards)

The next marathon I am running is the Dublin marathon on the final weekend of October 2013. I'll be planning on a PB in that race so training and pre race nutritin will be a little different for that one. 
Train well, run sensible and eat healthy but most importantly get rest.

Neil
@RunSensible